Thursday, January 11, 2007

I should be tired...but I'm not!!

The first weeks of 2007 have been packed full of life. I celebrated 7 continuous years in recovery - whoa! My dear Uncle Eddie died suddenly - huh? My birthday is January 17th - hint, hint! Sam is becoming a US citizen on January 18th - hooray!! I have been giving my final exams this week - ugh. My friend Kelly in NYC is planning a trip to visit me - whoopee! Matt and I are trying to go to a beach somewhere - maybe Vietnam - hmm. I have decided it's too cold to go snowboarding in Harbin (-20 Celcius) - brrr, so I went boarding in Shanghai. Indoor snowboarding - awesome!
All this activity has energized me. I usually sit around, watch movies and hang with friends in Shanghai. And kinda feel bored. Well, that hasn't changed much except now I have begun to steer my life towards being involved. I know I don't control "Things", but I am trying to become more open and available for interesting and new things to come into my life. My New Year's resolution is to be more proactive in getting what I want. I know I may not get it, but as long as I have tried I will be satisfied. (Oo, that rhymed! I'm a poet, and didn't even realize it. Uh-oh. Short-lived - wah wah.)
One thing I am trying to do more of is speak Chinese. I am always pleased with myself after I have attempted a conversation in Chinese. The other person may feel frustrated at me or even dismiss me altogether. But I don't care, I am learning as fast as I can. And if that upsets others, well, they chose to be upset. Once I get more comfortable with the language, I can make more Chinese friends. For example, I have yet to visit a Buddhist temple as a pilgrim. I have been to many, but only as a tourist. I want to change that. But I don't know what to do in a temple. I need someone to show me around and teach me what to do and when to do it. And in China, this can be accomplished much easier if I speak Chinese. Once I am able to communicate effectively, I figure the world will open up to me. I will feel included and less isolated. People will not dismiss me and walk away. I will get a truly great bargain at the fake markets!! Gosh, I want to get the Chinese price! And the moment to which I am most looking forward is telling a rude Chinese guy who thinks I don't understand him while he makes fun of me with his friends that I can indeed speak Chinese. I heard everything he said and I think he should go eat a cricket. All in Chinese! That will be an beautiful moment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

¡feliz cumpleaƱos mi amigo!

Anonymous said...

waddup d-o-double-g! chris french and aaron from the ski-bums say "hi". we miss you on the snowboarding trips this year - i miss you!