Friday, September 01, 2006

Experiencing Temporary Technical and Cultural Difficulties

So my computer is wireless and the modem at my apartment doesn't understand this. So up to now I have been coming to the internet cafe around the corner. Soon I will be able to surf the entire net in the comfort of my own communist flat, till then it's surfing amongst the surfers. Not so bad really - imagine having to send letters - actual letters!
I have yet to see the sky from all the smog - China has a grey sky with no distinct clouds. Just a grey, hazy sky. So I must pay attention to the ground and all the people going by for my amusement. It has been at least 95 degrees everyday I have been here. I have decided to start my exploration of the city and neighboring towns once the temperture drops. So, as of now, I have only gone shopping for my apartment. Today I went to the Wal-Mart here in Jiaxing. What a trip! They have everything the Wal-Marts and Targets have only in Chinese. However, they do not accept "Meiguo Ke" - American Credit cards. So I had to pay cash. But I didn't have enough on me. So, I found an ATM machine about ten minutes away and to be safe I withdrew 3000RMB (about US$270). I was hoping this would be enough. I was a little worried that I would have to put things back - No one wants to hear "I need a void. Manager to register 16, please" in Chinese. But as it turned out my total was only 685RMB (US$85). That's right 85 dollars. I was expecting US$250 or more and it only came to $85. Need it be said that China is very affordable. I think not! I furnished my flat for about 1500RMB which is about US$200. Hen Hao! Very good!
I taught my first class yesterday. It was fun and I got through it well - at least that's what my collegues said. I will be teaching four days a week with four or five classes each day. I will also do "Crazy English" during morning exercises. I don't quite know what it entails, but Kelly, my Chinese supervisor, has a book that I can refer to. Something about yelling short English phrases as loud as I can which the students repeat for fun! Lots of laughs, I'm sure.
Jiaxing is not a small town. It's bigger than Trenton or Newark and much busier. Lots of taxis, motos, electric rickshaws (although that's not what they call them - I haven't learned to correct name yet) I took one from the ATM machine back to the Wal-Mart - it cost 3RMB (about 40 cents). There is a military school nearby, and a couple of colleges and universities, too. Education seems to be important here.
I got a cell phone with the help of Lilian, an ex-pat from Camaroon who speaks fluent Chinese. What an ordeal! She insisted on haggling because that's how the chinese do it. But with our non-chinese faces the clerks wouldn't budge. After about 30 minutes of raised voices (can you imagine hearing chinese with an african accent - actually, it's pretty) I got one for a good price.
So now I need to figure out chinese phone numbers - oh lord this country is so different! But that's what I wanted - difference and diversity. And I got it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emit came into the shop without you today and it was really strange!! I also had a dream you came home and had weird longish spikey orange-red windblown hair. miss ya!

Jamie C said...

Hi Evan!

I love your blog. I'm so glad I'll be able to read about your adventures as you blog about them. Man, blogging is cool. Someday I'll have a blog running again.


It sounds like you're getting adjusted. Things in NYC are the same. Generally good but nothing too too exciting.

Love ya,

Jamie

Anonymous said...

your blog is great evan!!! it's so fun! I can not believe you have to teach crazy english!!! That stuff is crazy.. I mean "THAT STUFF IS CRAZY!!!!!" (very loud yelling)