Friday, August 04, 2006

Discretion is requested. Aug 4, 2006

So, it has come to my attention by a dear friend that maybe I should wait until I arrive in China to launch my blog. Reasoning is that my sexual orientation may be a hinderence in attaining a work Visa. So just to be safe - from now on - S@m is Samantha. I would appreciate you all going along with this, k? Sexual orientation is not against the law in China, it's just a little uncomfortable for those who think that they are normal and others are not. Communism did a couple things right when it gave women equal treatment and respect and it moved towards enveloping marginalized groups, such as those who have sexual orientation freedom from comforming to the majority. Communism is an egalitarian concept which allows people to be who they are without the fear of opppression or reprisal. So does capitalism and other various -isms - like active alcoholism. I have seen many drunks say whatever they want to their friends and strangers without fear of offending.
As I prepare to go to China, I am reminded that freedom is precious and fragile and that those who think "normal is as normal does" have a specific definition of normal. My definition is normal as well. And Samantha is as normal as they get. I love my normal Sam! Are you normal too?

2 comments:

Kate said...

Hi Evan! so glad you are doing this~ thanks for keeping me in the loop!
Kate DeShiell

Anonymous said...

Re: Samantha

Didn't know you had
dated Kim Cattrall. :-}